The EMDR Association’s Regional Group in East Anglia is thrilled to welcome the UK’s leading EMDR-and-the-Military trainer, Matt Wesson, for a day’s workshop with us in Cambridge on using EMDR with the uniformed services.
When: 1000-1630, Saturday November 17, 2018.
Where: Quy Mill Hotel (& Spa!) Church Rd, Stow cum Quy, Cambridge CB25 9AF
How much: £65 for EMDR Association UK Members, £70 for non-members.
Six EMDR Association UK CPD Points
What’s it about? Read on….
Matt’s workshop aims to provide practical ideas for understanding and working with military personnel, veterans and the uniformed services (Police, Prison Officers, Fire Service, Paramedics, Security personnel, etc).
The workshop will address the special characteristics and culture of this population and how to adapt EMDR accordingly, with an emphasis on assessment, formulation and forming a strong collaborative alliance.
Matthew has had extensive experience of working with this client group, and will use his engaging presentation style along with interactive tasks and video material to help attendees improve their skills and confidence in this area.
- The day will be a lively mixture of teaching, interactive exercises and video material
- It will cover relevant research.
- Clinical obstacles and therapy techniques to help engage this sometimes-challenging population into treatment.
- The day will discuss risk and protective factors of common cultural issues and how they impact on treatment, history taking and ideas of conceptualisations.
- Preparation, engagement and use of specific resources will be highlighted, and blocks to and during processing will be viewed.
- The course is suitable for all levels of experience and previous knowledge of veteran or uniformed clients is not necessary
- Myths, Facts and the Research around Military / Uniformed Services Mental Health
- Cultural issues
- EMDR and combat related PTSD
- Engaging the military/uniformed services client
- Tailoring EMDR to this client group
- Utilising resources
Previous feedback on this workshop:
‘Excellent’, ‘Lots of new ideas’, ‘Great presenter’, ‘Clear and credible’, ‘Very good indeed’, ‘Clear delivery and a good case examples’, ‘Very interesting’, ‘Lively and credible’, ‘Well delivered and organised’, ‘Lots of interesting ideas I can relate to veterans work, and working with Police, Prison Officers etc’…plus many more postive comments.
Biography for Matthew Wesson
Matt is an EMDR Europe Accredited Trainer and Consultant, and has been using EMDR within his clinical work for nearly 20 years. He is also a BABCP Accredited CBT therapist. He works as an independent practitioner, supervisor and trainer.
Previous to that he served in the Armed Forces for 21 years delivering mental health care to serving military personnel across the UK and also including tours of Iraq and Afghanistan.
He has had several articles published in peer-reviewed journals on both CBT and EMDR, and has presented at international conferences. He has a particular interest in combat related PTSD and military mental health. He lives in Cheshire with his young family.